This is one of those lists that’s currently going around Facebook, and since I haven’t posted around these parts that much — turns out that writing 3,000 – 4,000 words a week about Battlestar Galactica takes it out of you — and because Will Betheboy referenced my list on his blog, I figured that I’d post it here. Content!
It started with 25, but I kept remembering other songs to put on it, and surprise, surprise, it got way way way out of hand. It’s not a list of my favorite songs (though it certainly includes those); or a list of best songs by each artist (though it certainly includes those, too); or even a list of songs that changed my life (and man, does it ever have a lot of those).
Nope, this is a list of songs that at some point started kicking my ass, and pretty much never stopped. Even though I’ve heard some of these songs zillions of times, I still love them every time they come on.
I was going to annotate this, but a lot of these can already be found in my Musical Moments to Die For series.
Done roughly in chronological order as to when I became fully aware of them:
50 Songs I’ll Never Get Sick Of
- The Royal Guardsmen – Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron
- The Rolling Stones – Jumping Jack Flash
- Led Zeppelin – Over The Hills and Far Away
- Paul McCartney & Wings – Band on the Run
- Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion
- War – Summer
- Black Sabbath – Symptom of the Universe
- Fleetwood Mac – Go Your Own Way
- The Clash – Safe European Home
- Rod Stewart – Every Picture Tells A Story
- The Who – Join Together
- The Velvet Underground – What Goes On (Live)
- Television – Marquee Moon
- The Byrds – Eight Miles High
- Talking Heads – Once in a Lifetime
- Heptones – Book of Rules
- New Order – Ceremony
- Peter Tosh – Wanted Dread and Alive
- The Kinks – Mindless Child of Motherhood
- Waylon Jennings – Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?
- Rank and File – Coyote
- The Dream Syndicate – Then She Remembers
- Otis Redding – Respect (Live)
- R.E.M. – Pilgrimage
- The Church – Dropping Names
- The Replacements – Answering Machine
- Billy Bragg – Levi Stubbs Tears
- 28th Day – 25 Pills
- Husker Du – Keep Hanging On
- Bob Dylan – Shelter From The Storm (Live)
- U2 – A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
- Cat Heads – Alice on the Radio
- Public Enemy – Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
- Robyn Hitchcock – Madonna of The Wasps
- The Miss Alans – The Shiny Unfeeling
- Stone Roses – Waterfall
- LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
- Bash & Pop – Friday Night is Killing Me
- Swervedriver – Duel
- Uncle Tupelo – Anodyne
- Pearl Jam – Corduroy
- Whiskeytown – 16 Days
- Wilco – California Stars
- Robert Pollard – Pop Zeus!
- Bruce Springsteen – Two Hearts (Live)
- Outkast – Ms. Jackson
- Drive-by Truckers – The Living Bubba (Live)
- Arcade Fire – Rebellion (Lies)
- The Hold Steady – The Swish
- Yo La Tengo – Pass The Hatchet, I Think I’m Goodkind
BTW, this is not every song that fits this category. Not even close.