Reddit’s Dead. That’s What I Said.
The social news site Reddit has been offline all morning. As a result geeks around the world are itching for a quick fix of links to an odd array of stories that seemingly have little in common.
It’s been suggested that Reddit’s outage might actually improve worker productivity in the tech industry. Personally, I think that sounds like crazy talk. I’m not about to let a Reddit outage suddenly make me more productive.
Here are a few things you can do while Reddit’s offline. Remember, any of these things beats actually going back to work:
- Blog about it. Like I just did.
- Post your story to Digg.
- Update Reddit’s wikipedia entry noting the outage.
- Check Digg, Netscape, and Slashdot for an update on the outage.
- Check Reddit’s whois record to see if you can diagnose the problem.
- Create an ad hoc support group. IM all of your friends to make sure that they’ve heard that Reddit’s down.
- Search Google news to see if the mainstream media has picked up the story. If it has you might need to reconsider your use of Reddit.
There are probably a few more things, but I gotta get started right now before Reddit comes back online.
UPDATE: If this post is to be believed, Reddit is the victim of a botched domain transfer. They’re blaming the alien. Why do humans always blame the aliens??