Today’s links of interest:
- Apple should sell DVDs
Hell, everybody should sell *everything!*
- Charlie Sheen Seeks M Payday
Already that wack-ass Emmy nod is wreaking havoc.
- Gawker, Yahoo End Syndication Deal; Valleywag’s Persecution of Braun ‘Cast a Pall Over the Relationship’
Hmm, it seems the Gawker Media Empire is finally getting around to making missteps.
- Nielsen: Mainsteam Advertisers Flock to Podcasts
Why does this feel like one of those over-hyped trends? Or, why do we suddenly feel cynical?
- Avast, Me Critics! Ye Kill the Fun: Critics and the Masses Disagree About Film Choices
Futhering the theory that critics aren’t people too.
- Counting Every Last Eyeball
Nielsen’s new system will be all well and good until the first glitch…
- ‘Next Top Model’ Writers Threaten Strike
Okay, you know we’re easy when this tickles our funny bone.
- The Long Tail: a dubious theory of everything
The Long Tail backlash has officially begun. Some good points mixed in with some misrepresentations of the book.
- Comic-Con draws superheroes, sci-fi fans, major movie studios
But not, sadly enough, any of us.
- Yahoo Offers MP3 Sans DRM
Good!! Yes, we know that it’s only one song, and of course eMusic has never had any DRM’d music. Still, it’s a start. But . . . is too much for a single song. Especially a Jessica Simpson song. They should be paying us to download her music.
- That Deadwood Fight
W. Earl Brown on the HBO boards discussing that fight on "Deadwood." If you have no idea what I’m talking about, MAJOR SPOILERS, OK??
- Mixtapes Mix In the Marketing That Fuels the Hip-Hop Industry
Mixtape articles are becoming the new filler piece.
- Life after the 30-second advertising spot
Interesting revelation: consumers are using the Internet to research purchases before making them, advertisers are scrambling to adapt. Wait until they discover forums.
- ANALYSIS: Changes at Disney signal ‘strange tides’
Because even the executives are being fired. Can Disney address the root cause of industry malaise by firing lots of people? Or is it time to do a live action verson of Sleeping Beauty’s castle?
- Technology Rewrites the Book
Print-on-Demand (the technology) is going to be a key force in saving the publishing industry. And when you’re told this five years from now, you can say you heard it hear first.
- ‘Deadwood’ is Filmed In Front of a Live Studio Audience
It’s a Deadwood morning. So deal. Just in case you hadn’t seen it yet. Also: I’m really glad that they did this prior to the episode invoving that fight.