Ghosts of Electricity Edition
Todays links of interest:
- Molly Ivins, Populist Texas Columnist, Dies at 62
Sad news. Molly was one of the good ‘uns.
- Miss USA Cops to Coke Use
Joke #1: Talk about the real thing! Joke #2: See, and people say that beauty pageant winners aren’t role models. Joke #3: Well, somebody’s gotta show the new Miss America how to roll. Joke #4: We don’t have a problem with that, just as long as she didn’t snort it off of Donald Trump’s ass.
- TV network ad campaign sparks Boston security scare
Jumpy? Hell no, we ain’t jumpy.
- Hack 4: Adopt the FCC
So the Super Bowl is this weekend. That means we’re sure to experience some unfortunate television moment that will lead to yet another national debate on indecency in the media. And what’s the FCC doing to prepare for that moment? Well, to start with, they’re running their web server on Windows 95! It sorta goes down hill from there.
- Courtney Love to Replace Paula Abdul on ‘Idol’?
One of the few things sure to incite violent disagreement around the ‘Loper office is any discussion on the musical merits of Ms. Love-Cobain, but at least one of us thinks that this is a fracking fantastic idea.
- NYTimes.com Up 21% – New Study: 66% of Blog Newspaper Traffic is Male and Gap is Widening
This reads like a hoax — or shoddy surveying. Sigh.
- Non-Celebrities on the Web, Seeming to Make Non-Pitches
Oh dear, it’s the rise of the ordinary citizen/pitch person. Welcome to the new cliche.
- Levi’s Locks Horns With Other Shops, Claims They Invented ‘Pockets’
But they stop short of claiming credit for the ‘pocketbook’.
- Internet to revolutionize TV in 5 years: Gates
Dateline: January 27, 2002…
- Nintendo To Launch Wii News Channel
Taking a break between hour-long gaming sessions? Catch the latest headlines on your Wii. We’re seeing an innovative way to capture the next generation of news junkies.
- Nickelodeon Launches Nicktropolis Web Playground
"Second Life" for the junior set. You gotta start them young…how else can they grow up to squat at famous rock stars’ SL pads?
- BREAKING: Top Chef Finale Spoiled AGAIN
Interesting only because the print media continues to struggle with the concept of time and date stamps. It makes the lowly among us feel better about our little foibles.
- New Miss America eager to hit the road
And why not? After all, that’s where all of the booze, cocaine and fornication is!
- TV veterans Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun form production company
Sometimes, the sub-head is designed not to inspire great confidence: "The pair, just ousted from Paramount and Yahoo, will focus initially on television shows, movies and Internet entertainment."