Bye, Bob Edition
Todays links of interest:
- Art in the Age of Franchising
Virginia Heffernan posits that "Friday Night Lights" is too self-contained, too insular, too old-fashioned to succeed in this day and age. Perhaps, but it should would be weird and off-message for the show to be surrounded with the same type of 360-degree marketing that, say, "American Idol" or "Heroes" have claimed from the outset.
- John Oates creates new life in Aspen, brings solo act to Carbondale
?My mustache has superpowers?
- Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide
That, right there, is a headline that nobody ever wants to read, much less write.
- HBO to let subscribers download TV shows, movies
Headline: awesome. Details: not so much.
- Suzanne Pleshette kept us coming back for more
It’s weird how "The Bob Newhart Show" holds up so well, as it was really the least overtly topical of those amazing CBS early-1970s sitcoms. Or maybe that’s the reason. Another reason is how Suzanne Pleshette as Emily Hartley held out hope that men who maybe weren’t the most attractive and lived inside of their own heads could still end up with an amazing woman.
- The AP Has Written Britney Spears’ Obituary
God, someone get that girl a parent!
- LA Times Editor Fired in Budget Dispute
Third editor in three years. Same theme. Apparently the people put in charge of the LAT believe that you need to commit a certain amount of money to maintaining a quality paper. Unfortunately, those who answer to shareholders don’t care so much about that point.
- Directors deal "template" for others: MPAA chief
Well, he would say that, wouldn’t he?
- Georgia Frontiere, who moved Rams to St. Louis, dies
Or as we like to see it, the daughter of ‘loper icon Lucia Pamela has passed away.