Todays links of interest:
- Don’t worry about Conan O’Brien?he’s going to be great as the Tonight Show host
And we for one, welcome our new Tonight Show overlord.
- Rare Comet Close-Up Coming to a Sky Near You
- California game law struck down…again
But don’t they understand? It’s forrrrrr the chilllldrennnn! Forrrrrr the chilllldrennnn!
- Is Hulu’s Heave-Ho First Salvo in Digital Content War?
As usual, all of this dick-swinging is harmful to the people who will eventually make or break online versions of traditional media: the consumers. Who, if they can’t find it legally on the delivery mechanism of their choice, will find it via other means. Good job, Hulu; it’s 1998 all over again.
- Assets of Damon, Nady frozen in Stanford fallout
Finally, a ‘loperesque twist to this sordid story: Johnny Damon cannot afford new skateboards.
- Woman tries to pay old fine, but gets arrested
Just when you think it can’t get stranger in America.
- Former NiN Drummer Takes Album Promotion A Step Further
Awesome. Totally awesome.
- ABC cuts Oscar ad rates
And just in time, too!
- Can Hulu Hold Off TV.com After NBC and Fox Deals Expire?
Just as Hulu finds itself successful, market forces emerge. Including one called eating your own.
- ’30 Rock’ McFlurry Scene Was Not Paid Placement
Color us shocked (and not just because AdAge lead the way by doing some investigative journalism).
- What Would Micropayments Do for Journalism? A Freakonomics Quorum
Probably no, but worth reading the various thought processes behind the answers to the question.
- Not all information wants to be free.
Jack Shafer, hopefully, puts lie to the rumor that all content must be free by looking at the model for successful paid content.
- The Agreeable Cat by Anne Loucks
You too can bypass those pesky EULA with the help of a feline friend.
- ARN – DRM a drag on ebook growth, say critics
- 97.1 FM Finally Shuts Up This Friday
File under: one radio station comes to town, another one leaves.
- Union explores P-I buyout idea
Employees look to purchase Seattle’s Post-Intelligencer.
- Playboy Open to Sale Talks
A small subset of ‘lopers have begun to explore investment opportunities. For the articles.
- Yelp and the Business of Extortion 2.0
What exactly is Yelp’s real business model?